Current:Home > FinanceFastexy Exchange|Iran seizes oil tanker in Gulf of Oman that was recently at center of standoff with U.S. -Mastery Money Tools
Fastexy Exchange|Iran seizes oil tanker in Gulf of Oman that was recently at center of standoff with U.S.
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:53:58
Dubai,Fastexy Exchange United Arab Emirates — An oil tanker once at the center of a crisis between Iran and the United States was boarded and seized by Iranian forces in the Gulf of Oman Thursday, Iranian state media said, citing the country's navy, after reports that "unauthorized" men in military uniforms had boarded the vessel.
"The Navy of the Islamic Republic of Iran announced the seizure of an American oil tanker in the waters of the Oman Sea with a court order," Iran's semi-official Tasnim news agency, which is affiliated with the country's powerful Revolutionary Guard force, said in a message posted on its channel on the Telegram social media app. The state-run IRNA news agency also reported the navy's statement.
Suspicion had immediately fallen on Iran as the ship, once known as the Suez Rajan, was involved in a yearlong dispute that ultimately saw the U.S. Justice Department seize 1 million barrels of Iranian crude oil from it. Another Iranian news agency, Mehr, cited the navy as calling Thursday's seizure "retaliation" for the previous U.S. action against the tanker.
Satellite-tracking data analyzed by The Associated Press last showed the Marshall Islands-flagged tanker, now called the St. Nikolas, turning off its course and heading toward the port of Bandar-e Jask in Iran. The Marshall Islands is an independent nation, but it has deep historic and economic ties with the United States.
The seizure comes after weeks of attacks by Yemen's Iranian-backed Houthi rebels on shipping in the Red Sea, including their largest barrage ever of drones and missiles launched late Tuesday.
- White House accuses Iran of being "deeply involved" in attacks on shipping
Eighteen drones, two-antiship cruise missiles and one anti-ship ballistic missile were fired in that salvo alone by the Iranian-backed Houthis, but all were successfully shot down, the U.S. military's Central Command said.
Yahya Saree, a military spokesman for the Houthis, said Wednesday that the group had fired a "large number" of missiles and drones at a U.S. ship "providing support" to Israel amid its war against Hamas in Gaza.
The attacks on shipping have raised the risk of possible retaliatory strikes by U.S.-led forces now patrolling the vital waterway, especially after a United Nations Security Council vote on Wednesday condemning the Houthis and as American and British officials warned of potential consequences over the attacks.
The British military's United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations, which provides warnings to sailors in the Middle East, said Thursday's apparent seizure began early in the morning with "unauthorized" armed men boarding the tanker in the waters between Oman and Iran. The area is heavily transited by ships coming in and out of the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow mouth of the Persian Gulf through which a fifth of all oil traded globally passes.
The U.K. military-run group described receiving a report from the ship's security manager of hearing "unknown voices over the phone" alongside the ship's captain. It said that further efforts to contact the ship had failed and that the men who boarded the vessel wore "black military-style uniforms with black masks."
The private security firm Ambrey said "four to five armed persons" had boarded the ship, which it identified as the St. Nikolas. It said that the men covered the surveillance cameras as they boarded.
The tanker had been off the city of Basra, Iraq, loading crude oil bound for Aliaga, Turkey, for the Turkish refinery firm Tupras.
The St. Nikolas was previously named the Suez Rajan, associated with the Greek shipping company Empire Navigation. In a statement to the AP, Athens-based Empire Navigation acknowledged losing contact with the vessel, which has a crew of 18 Filipinos and one Greek national. The company did not elaborate.
Attention began focusing on the Suez Rajan in February 2022, when the group United Against Nuclear Iran said it suspected the tanker carried oil from Iran's Khargh Island, its main oil distribution terminal in the Persian Gulf. Satellite photos and shipping data analyzed at the time by the AP supported the allegation.
For months, the ship sat in the South China Sea off the northeast coast of Singapore before suddenly sailing for the Texas coast without explanation. The vessel discharged its cargo to another tanker in August, which released its oil in Houston as part of a Justice Department order.
In September, Empire Navigation pleaded guilty to smuggling sanctioned Iranian crude oil and agreed to pay a $2.4 million fine over a case involving the tanker.
The U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet, which patrols the Mideast, did not immediately respond to a request for comment over the incident. Prior to the report by Tasnim, Iran's state-run IRNA news agency, citing foreign reports, had mentioned the boarding but did not say anything more. Iran's mission to the United Nations also did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
After the vessel, then-Suez Rajan, headed for America in 2022, Iran seized two tankers near the Strait of Hormuz, including one with cargo for major U.S. oil company Chevron Corp. In July, the top commander of the Revolutionary Guard's naval arm threatened further action against anyone offloading the Suez Rajan, with state media linking the recent seizures to the cargo's fate.
Since the collapse of Iran's nuclear deal, waters around the strait have seen a series of ship seizures by Iran, as well as assaults targeting shipping that the Navy has blamed on Tehran. Iran and the Navy also have had a series of tense encounters in the waterway, though recent attention has been focused on the Houthi attacks on ships in the Red Sea.
The U.S. and its allies also have been seizing Iranian oil cargoes since 2019. That has led to a series of attacks in the Mideast attributed to the Islamic Republic, as well as ship seizures by Iranian military and paramilitary forces that threaten global shipping.
The Houthis say their attacks are aimed at halting the suffering of Palestinians in Israel's war on Hamas in the Gaza Strip. However, the rebels have increasingly targeted ships with tenuous or no ties to Israel.
Meanwhile, satellite tracking data analyzed by the AP on Thursday showed that an Iranian cargo vessel suspected of being a spying platform in the Red Sea had left the waterway. The data showed the Behshad had transited through the Bab el-Mandeb Strait into the Gulf of Aden.
The Behshad has been in the Red Sea since 2021 off Eritrea's Dahlak archipelago. It arrived there after Iran removed the Saviz, another suspected spy base in the Red Sea that had suffered damage in an attack that analysts attributed to Israel amid a wider shadow war of ship attacks in the region.
- In:
- Cargo Ship
- War
- Iran
- Red Sea
- Israel
- Persian Gulf
- Yemen
- Middle East
veryGood! (48)
Related
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- WATCH: Free-agent QB Baker Mayfield takes batting practice with Yankees
- Who was the designated survivor for the 2024 State of the Union address?
- Trump attorneys post bond to support $83.3 million award to writer in defamation case
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Eagle cam livestream: Watch as world awaits hatching of 3 bald eagles in Big Bear Valley
- Akira Toriyama, legendary Japanese manga artist and Dragon Ball creator, dies at 68
- Sister Wives' Janelle Brown Speaks Out After Son's Garrison Death
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- The new pro women’s hockey league allows more hitting. Players say they like showing those skills
Ranking
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- ‘Dragon Ball’ creator Akira Toriyama dies at 68
- Sister Wives' Christine Brown Honors Kody and Janelle's Late Son Garrison With Moving Tribute
- The 28 Best Amazon Deals This Month: A $26 Kendall + Kylie Jacket, $6 Necklaces, $14 Retinol & More
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- 2024 designated hitter rankings: Shohei Ohtani now rules the NL
- Brittany Mahomes speaks out after injury: 'Take care of your pelvic floor'
- Love Is Blind's Jess Confronts Jimmy Over Their Relationship Status in Season 6 Reunion Trailer
Recommendation
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
Avoid sargassum seaweed, algal blooms on Florida beaches in spring with water quality maps
Third-party movement No Labels says it will field a 2024 presidential ticket
Shooting at park in Salem, Oregon, kills 1 person and wounds 2 others
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Donald Trump will get juror names at New York criminal trial but they’ll be anonymous to the public
Steve Lawrence, half of popular singing and comedy duo Steve & Eydie, dies at 88
Michigan appeals court stands by ruling that ex-officer should be tried for murder