Current:Home > reviewsCourt pauses order limiting Biden administration contact with social media companies -Mastery Money Tools
Court pauses order limiting Biden administration contact with social media companies
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:38:09
NEW ORLEANS — A federal appeals court Friday temporarily paused a lower court's order limiting executive branch officials' communications with social media companies about controversial online posts.
Biden administration lawyers had asked the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans to stay the preliminary injunction issued on July 4 by U.S. District Judge Terry Doughty. Doughty himself had rejected a request to put his order on hold pending appeal.
Friday's brief 5th Circuit order put Doughty's injunction on hold "until further orders of the court." It called for arguments in the case to be scheduled on an expedited basis.
Filed last year, the lawsuit claimed the administration, in effect, censored free speech by discussing possible regulatory action the government could take while pressuring companies to remove what it deemed misinformation. COVID-19 vaccines, legal issues involving President Joe Biden's son Hunter and election fraud allegations were among the topics spotlighted in the lawsuit.
Doughty, nominated to the federal bench by former President Donald Trump, issued an Independence Day order and accompanying reasons that covered more than 160 pages. He said the plaintiffs were likely to win their ongoing lawsuit. His injunction blocked the Department of Health and Human Services, the FBI and multiple other government agencies and administration officials from "encouraging, pressuring, or inducing in any manner the removal, deletion, suppression, or reduction of content containing protected free speech."
Administration lawyers said the order was overly broad and vague, raising questions about what officials can say in conversations with social media companies or in public statements. They said Doughty's order posed a threat of "grave" public harm by chilling executive branch efforts to combat online misinformation.
Doughty rejected the administration's request for a stay on Monday, writing: "Defendants argue that the injunction should be stayed because it might interfere with the Government's ability to continue working with social-media companies to censor Americans' core political speech on the basis of viewpoint. In other words, the Government seeks a stay of the injunction so that it can continue violating the First Amendment."
In its request that the 5th Circuit issue a stay, administration lawyers said there has been no evidence of threats by the administration. "The district court identified no evidence suggesting that a threat accompanied any request for the removal of content. Indeed, the order denying the stay — presumably highlighting the ostensibly strongest evidence — referred to 'a series of public media statements,'" the administration said.
Friday's "administrative stay" was issued without comment by a panel of three 5th Circuit judges: Carl Stewart, nominated to the court by former President Bill Clinton; James Graves, nominated by former President Barack Obama; and Andrew Oldham, nominated by Trump. A different panel drawn from the court, which has 17 active members, will hear arguments on a longer stay.
veryGood! (387)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- A tech billionaire goes missing in China
- Prince William got a 'very large sum' in a Murdoch settlement in 2020
- Bed Bath & the great Beyond: How the home goods giant went bankrupt
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Prince George Enjoys Pizza at Cricket Match With Dad Prince William
- A tobacco giant will pay $629 million for violating U.S. sanctions against North Korea
- The 'Champagne of Beers' gets crushed in Belgium
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- A tech billionaire goes missing in China
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- North Carolina Hurricanes Linked to Increases in Gastrointestinal Illnesses in Marginalized Communities
- What went wrong at Silicon Valley Bank? The Fed is set to release a postmortem report
- Inside Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Love Story: In-N-Out Burgers and Super Sexy Photos
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Homeware giant Bed Bath & Beyond has filed for bankruptcy
- San Francisco is repealing its boycott of anti-LGBT states
- And Just Like That, Sarah Jessica Parker Shares Her Candid Thoughts on Aging
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
A Black Woman Fought for Her Community, and Her Life, Amidst Polluting Landfills and Vast ‘Borrow Pits’ Mined for Sand and Clay
Maryland Gets $144 Million in Federal Funds to Rehabilitate Aging Water Infrastructure
Carbon Capture Takes Center Stage, But Is Its Promise an Illusion?
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
New Study Says World Must Cut Short-Lived Climate Pollutants as Well as Carbon Dioxide to Meet Paris Agreement Goals
The Fate of Protected Wetlands Are At Stake in the Supreme Court’s First Case of the Term
Hailey Bieber Slams Awful Narrative Pitting Her and Selena Gomez Against Each Other