Current:Home > FinanceLos Angeles County’s troubled juvenile halls get reprieve, can remain open after improvements -Mastery Money Tools
Los Angeles County’s troubled juvenile halls get reprieve, can remain open after improvements
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 14:49:39
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles County’s troubled juvenile detention facilities, on the verge of shutting down over safety issues and other problems, can remain open, state regulators decided Thursday.
The Board of State and Community Corrections voted to lift its “unsuitable” designation for Barry J. Nidorf Juvenile Hall in Sylmar and Central Juvenile Hall in Boyle Heights.
Both facilities could have been forced to shut down April 16 because of failed inspections over the past year.
The state board, which inspects the youth prisons, determined last year that the county had been unable to correct problems including inadequate safety checks, low staffing, use of force and a lack of recreation and exercise.
Board chair Linda Penner said while the county had made some improvements, officials should not consider the outcome of the vote “mission accomplished,” the Southern California News Group reported.
“Your mission now is sustainability and durability. We need continued compliance,” Penner said.
Only six of the 13 board members supported keeping the lockups open. Three voted against it, saying they did not believe Los Angeles County could maintain improvements at the facilities long-term. The other four abstained or recused themselves.
Board members warned the county that if future inspections result in an unsuitable designation, they would not hesitate to close the facilities.
The Los Angeles County Probation Department, which oversees the juvenile halls, said it was stabilizing staffing levels and improving training procedures. Probation Chief Guillermo Viera Rosa said his department acknowledges “the ongoing concerns and acknowledge there’s still much more to be done.”
The Peace and Justice Law Center, which advocates for prison reform, said the juvenile halls need “real fixes, not temporary Band-Aids.” Co-Execuitve Director Sean Garcia-Leys told the news group that the nonprofit plans to conduct a private audit to try to determine “why the board has reversed itself and decided a few weeks of compliance with standards outweigh the years of failure to meet minimum standards.”
The board’s decision comes after California phased out its three remaining state-run youth prisons and shifting the responsibility to counties.
The shift to local control is the final step in a lengthy reform effort driven in part by a class-action lawsuit and incentives for counties to keep youths out of the state system. The state-run system has a troubled history marked by inmate suicides and brawls.
veryGood! (62178)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Why do they give? Donors speak about what moves them and how they plan end-of-year donations
- No. 3 Michigan beats No. 2 Ohio State 30-24 for 3rd straight win in rivalry
- Here's how much shoppers plan to spend between Black Friday and Cyber Monday
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Jalen Hurts runs for winning TD in overtime, Eagles rally past Josh Allen, Bills 37-34
- College football Week 13 winners and losers: Michigan again gets best of Ohio State
- Why do they give? Donors speak about what moves them and how they plan end-of-year donations
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Pope Francis has a hospital checkup after coming down with the flu
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Consumers spent $5.6 billion on Thanksgiving Day — but not on turkey
- Florida sheriff’s deputies shoot driver who pointed rifle at them after high speed chase
- Tens of thousands march in London calling for a permanent cease-fire in Gaza
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Biden says 4-year-old Abigail Edan was released by Hamas. He hopes more U.S. hostages will be freed
- From 'Butt Fumble' to 'Hell Mary,' Jets can't outrun own misery in another late-season collapse
- Honda recalls 300,000 cars and SUVs over missing seat belt component
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Final trial over Elijah McClain’s death in suburban Denver spotlights paramedics’ role
A stampede during a music festival at a southern India university has killed at least 4 students
How WWE's Gunther sees Roman Reigns' title defenses: 'Should be a very special occasion'
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Marty Krofft, of producing pair that put ‘H.R. Pufnstuf’ and the Osmonds on TV, dies at 86
Jordan’s top diplomat wants to align Europeans behind a call for a permanent cease-fire in Gaza
Mac Jones benched for fourth time this season, Bailey Zappe takes over in Patriots' loss