Current:Home > MyTrump seeks new trial or reduced damages in E. Jean Carroll sexual abuse case -Mastery Money Tools
Trump seeks new trial or reduced damages in E. Jean Carroll sexual abuse case
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 13:51:27
Donald Trump is asking a federal court to order a new trial in the civil case brought by the writer E. Jean Carroll or to reduce the damages awarded to her by a jury that found Trump liable for sexual abuse and defamation.
The former president's attorneys argued in a filing on Thursday that the $5 million verdict was "grossly excessive."
Carroll accused Trump of attacking her in a department store changing room during a chance encounter in the mid-1990s, and then of defaming her after she went public with the story in 2019.
Trump's attorneys argued in the new filing that a $2 million portion of the award was excessive because the jury did not find him liable for rape.
Trump has denied assaulting Carroll and claimed her story was fabricated. She testified that they had been amiably walking through the store, joking during a light conversation, before Trump pushed her against a wall, her head slamming against it, and forcefully penetrated her with his hand and penis.
Trump's attorneys claimed $2.7 million in compensatory damages for defamation were based on "speculation" about how many people viewed a defamatory social media post by Trump in which he denied the allegation. The filing also claims the remaining punitive damages related to the defamation were awarded "without due process."
Roberta Kaplan, an attorney for Carroll, said in a statement to CBS News that Trump is trying to argue Carroll doesn't "deserve" the damages awarded to her, "even if he did those things."
"Trump's arguments are frivolous," Kaplan said. "The jury carefully considered the evidence that Ms. Carroll presented, and Trump did not put on a single witness of his own. This time, Trump will not be able to escape the consequences of his actions."
Carroll's attorneys argued during the eight-day trial that her allegations against Trump fit with what they called Trump's "modus operandi." In addition to witnesses who said Carroll confided in them after the incident, the jury heard from two other women who described Trump suddenly turning casual confrontations into sexual misconduct. They also watched the "Access Hollywood" video clip that emerged during the 2016 campaign, in which Trump could be heard crudely describing grabbing women by their genitals.
Trump has also appealed the verdict and continues to vehemently deny the allegations. Carroll amended a separate, previously filed defamation lawsuit, seeking at least $10 million in new damages. She claimed comments Trump made at a televised town hall — the day after the jury found him liable — were also disparaging.
Graham KatesGraham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (49)
Related
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Powerball winning numbers for September 18: Jackpot rises to $176 million
- Video shows masked robbers plunging through ceiling to steal $150,000 from Atlanta business
- High School Musical’s Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens' Relationship Ups and Downs Unpacked in Upcoming Book
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Memories of the earliest Tupperware parties, from one who was there
- Christina Ricci Accuses Her Dad of Being Failed Cult Leader
- Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2025 nominees include Eli Manning, Marshawn Lynch
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Woman suffers leg burns after hiking off trail near Yellowstone Park’s Old Faithful
Ranking
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- A news site that covers Haitian-Americans is facing harassment over its post-debate coverage of Ohio
- 'The Golden Bachelorette' cast: Meet the 24 men looking to charm Joan Vassos
- State asks judge to pause ruling that struck down North Dakota’s abortion ban
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Two Georgia deaths are tied to abortion restrictions. Experts say abortion pills they took are safe
- Tyler Henry on Netflix's 'Live from the Other Side' and the 'great fear of humiliation'
- Residents of Springfield, Ohio, hunker down and pray for a political firestorm to blow over
Recommendation
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Woman suffers leg burns after hiking off trail near Yellowstone Park’s Old Faithful
A 12-year-old boy fatally shoots a black bear mauling his father during a hunt in western Wisconsin
Jon Gruden wants to return to coaching. Could he find spot in college football?
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Hayden Panettiere breaks silence on younger brother's death: 'I lost half my soul'
High School Musical’s Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens' Relationship Ups and Downs Unpacked in Upcoming Book
Orioles DFA nine-time All-Star closer Craig Kimbrel right before MLB playoffs