Current:Home > ContactWill Sage Astor-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Mastery Money Tools
Will Sage Astor-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 18:25:44
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Will Sage Astoragain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (586)
Related
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Kim Dotcom loses 12-year fight to halt deportation from New Zealand to face US copyright case
- Dennis Quaid talks political correctness in Hollywood: 'Warned to keep your mouth shut'
- Federal judge reinforces order for heat protection for Louisiana inmates at prison farm
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- After record-breaking years, migrant crossings plunge at US-Mexico border
- US arrests reputed Peruvian gang leader wanted for 23 killings in his home country
- Police arrest 4 suspects in killing of former ‘General Hospital’ actor Johnny Wactor
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Don't Miss Out on lululemon's Rarest Finds: $69 Align Leggings (With All Sizes in Stock), $29 Tops & More
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Arizona, Nevada and Mexico will lose same amount of Colorado River water next year as in 2024
- BeatKing, Houston native and 'Thick' rapper, dies at 39 from pulmonary embolism
- Neighbor reported smelling gas night before Maryland house explosion
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Does Micellar Water Work As Dry Shampoo? I Tried the TikTok Hack and These Are My Results
- Nordstrom Rack's Back-to-School Sale: Score Up to 82% Off Free People, Marc Jacobs & More Before It Ends
- BeatKing, a Houston rapper known for viral TikTok song ‘Then Leave,’ dies at 39
Recommendation
Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
Federal judge reinforces order for heat protection for Louisiana inmates at prison farm
ESPN fires football analyst Robert Griffin III and host Samantha Ponder, per report
Here's What Jennifer Lopez Is Up to on Ben Affleck's Birthday
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Keke Palmer Shares How 17-Month-Old Son Leodis Has Completely Changed Her Life
Jack Russell, former Great White frontman, dies at 63
Auburn coach Hugh Freeze should stop worrying about Nick Saban and focus on catching Kirby Smart