Current:Home > ContactIndexbit-Texas Gov. Abbott announces buoy barrier in Rio Grande to combat border crossings -Mastery Money Tools
Indexbit-Texas Gov. Abbott announces buoy barrier in Rio Grande to combat border crossings
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 00:49:48
Texas is Indexbitset to deploy a buoy barrier in the Rio Grande as part of plans to deter migrant crossings, Gov. Greg Abbott announced Thursday.
He shared the news after he signed six bills related to border security. Funding will come from $5.1 billion approved by the state legislature to secure the border.
"What we're doing right now, we're securing the border at the border," Abbott said. "What these buoys will allow us to do is to prevent people from even getting to the border."
The first 1,000 feet of buoys will be deployed at Eagle Pass, which Steve McCraw, director of the state's Department of Public Safety, called "the center of gravity for smuggling." The first deployment will cost under $1 million and will begin "pretty much immediately." Officials did not share a more specific number for the cost of the barrier.
A Texas National Guard member drowned last year in Eagle Pass while attempting to rescue migrants in the river.
"We don't want people to come across and continue to put their lives at risk when they come between the points of entry," McCraw said.
The buoys have been tested by special operators, tactical operators and specialists with Border Patrol, McCraw said. It can be quickly deployed and can be moved as needed.
Officials hope the buoys will act as a deterrent to prevent migrants from entering the water. While there are ways to overcome the buoys, which can range in size, it will take a lot of effort and specialized skills.
"You could sit there for a couple of days and hold onto it, but eventually you're going to get tired and want to go back. You'll get hungry," McCraw said.
There will also be webbing going down into the water and anchors to the bottom so people cannot swim underneath.
The Texas chapter of the League of United Latin Americans Citizens condemned Abbott's plan. State Director Rodolfo Rosales denounced it as an inhumane, barbaric and ill-conceived plan. Rosales said the organization stands against any measure that could lead to a loss of migrant life, but did not specify what dangers the organization felt the buoy barrier could pose.
"We view it as a chilling reminder of the extreme measures used throughout history by elected leaders against those they do not regard as human beings, seeking only to exterminate them, regardless of the means employed. It is with profound horror and shame that we bear witness to the consideration of these measures, which are evidently intended as political theatre but will undoubtedly result in the loss of innocent lives among the refugees seeking asylum in the United States.
- In:
- Immigration
- Texas
- U.S.-Mexico Border
- Rio Grande
Aliza Chasan is a digital producer at 60 Minutes and CBS News.
TwitterveryGood! (9674)
Related
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- What is the birthstone for October? Hint: There's actually two.
- As dockworkers walk out in massive port strike, the White House weighs in
- Man pleads guilty to fatally strangling deaf cellmate in Baltimore jail
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Conyers BioLab fire in Georgia: Video shows status of cleanup, officials share update
- Carvana stock price is up 228%, but a red flag just emerged
- Subway train derails in Massachusetts and injures some riders
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Push to map Great Lakes bottom gains momentum amid promises effort will help fishing and shipping
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Analyzing Alabama-Georgia and what it means, plus Week 6 predictions lead College Football Fix
- Washington airman receives award after carrying injured 79-year-old hiker down trail
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, College Food
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- 11 workers at a Tennessee factory were swept away in Hurricane Helene flooding. Only 5 were rescued
- Baseball legend Pete Rose's cause of death revealed
- These Are the Biggest Boot Trends You’ll See This Fall 2024
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Doctor to stars killed outside LA office attacked by men with baseball bats before death
Sarah Hyland's Former Manager Accuses Her of Denying Him Modern Family Royalties
Miracles in the mud: Heroes, helping hands emerge from Hurricane Helene aftermath
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Video of Kentucky judge’s death shown at court hearing for the ex-sheriff charged in the case
Crumbl Fans Outraged After Being Duped Into Buying Cookies That Were Secretly Imported
Tigers, MLB's youngest team, handle playoff pressure in Game 1 win vs. Astros